Monday, October 6, 2008

Sticky Buns and Fingerling Potatoes

I was craving Mom's cinnamon rolls to gobble down while watching General Conference on the computer. I looked in the Family Cookbook for the recipe and this is what I found just in front of it. A lovely short cut recipe for sticky buns from Grandma Marge. It is hard for me to believe that she has ever used this short cut recipe herself. She assured me she has when I dialed her up about it. So give them a whirl because they were very simple and very sticky and very delicious!

Quick Sticky Buns - pg. 119 in Family Cookbook
1 pkg frozen rolls, 16 count (I only had 12)
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 pkg butterscotch pudding, not instant!
1 stick butter, melted
1 c chopped nuts

Place all ingredients in a buttered bundt pan in order. Cover and place in oven overnight. Uncover and place pan in oven prior to preheating the oven. Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes.

*******************************

I saw these fingerling potatoes on my fave blog Orangette a while ago and have been thinking and thinking of them. She doesn't care much for potatoes but she fell in love with these tiny Russian Banana potatoes. I love a potato just about any way you can think to cook a potato. I knew I would love them. And I did! Cesar said they were a winner. Hugo thought they were apple slices and inhaled them. Winner I tell you. Make them, but don't plan on having any for leftovers!

Fingerling Potatoes with Chives and Parsley
Adapted from Gourmet, July 2008

These would be delicious with almost anything: roasted chicken (served hot or cold), eggs any style, salmon (served hot or cold), you name it.

1 ½ lb. fingerling potatoes, such as Russian Banana
1 ½ cups water
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large garlic clove, pressed
½ tsp. salt
A few grinds of black pepper
3 Tbsp. chopped chives
1 Tbsp. chopped Italian parsley

Peel the potatoes, and halve them lengthwise.

Combine the potatoes, water, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in a nonstick 10-inch skillet.

Place the skillet over medium-high heat, and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce the heat slightly, and continue to simmer briskly, shaking the skillet occasionally, until the potatoes are just tender, about 10 minutes. Remove the lid, and continue to cook until most of the water has evaporated and the potatoes are glazed, about 5 minutes. Stir in the herbs.

Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature, with extra salt for sprinkling.

*I completely copied what she said except for two things.
A. I gave up on peeling the boogers and left the skins on. Didn't change a thing.
B. Forgot the chives at the market. Just went without. Still majorly yummy.


P.S. - We had them with a little trout and a little salmon and a nice big spinach salad with English cucumbers, cranberries, sunflower seeds and fresh mozzarella.

1 comment:

Apples and Butter said...

I adore fingerling potatoes. The buttery flavor and how they take on any seasoning so well. Yum

Thanks for the short cut sticky buns! I'm always looking for easy breakfast ideas.